IMPORTANT CHAT UPDATE:
♥ Please clear your cache, cookies, and/or history to refresh the chat if it isn’t loading for you. We have pushed some updates to fix bugs.
Discuss styling or wearing garments like cloth or disposable diapers, pull-ups, training pants, rompers, onesies, shortalls, dresses, plastic jewelry, and more. We can also help with designing little zones in your homes. Let us help you create your new look or redecorate your space!
Forum rules: This section of the site is for open, group conversation and public discussion topics about with the community whole.

► Show more details
By rleqh99
Hi everyone!
So I've heard that baby powder with talc could give you a certain cancer that I can't remember the name of.
Is this true?
Regardless of wether this is true or not, what are good diapering product brands that are reliable and safe? (Powder, cream for rash or substitute for powder if possible, wipes if any are better in your opinion)
So I've heard that baby powder with talc could give you a certain cancer that I can't remember the name of.
Is this true?

I worried about the same but there's been controversy over using baby powder for decades since some could fly up and be inhaled during changes. They've said some talcum powder (which is what's in a lot of baby powders) could be linked to cancer since it can be from asbestos (a known human carcinogen and linked to lung diseases and cancer). I don't believe there's been any solid data that says it definitely does increase the chances of cancer though.

I just pulled this up and the American Cancer Society says...
"It is not clear if consumer products containing talcum powder increase cancer risk. Studies of personal use of talcum powder have had mixed results, although there is some suggestion of a possible increase in ovarian cancer risk. There is very little evidence at this time that any other forms of cancer are linked with consumer use of talcum powder.

Until more information is available, people concerned about using talcum powder may want to avoid or limit their use of consumer products that contain it."
Last Medical Review: November 17, 2014 Last Revised: May 3, 2016
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ancer.html

So the answer really is that nobody knows for sure right now.

I do know of EWG's database where they review ingredients of products and label them if they are safe or not, linked to cancer, linked to endocrine issues, possible issues with reproductive health from use, and if they contain things that could cause allergic reactions. They have a section for baby products too and you could search for specific brand names of care items you might want to review for yourself... http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/SKIN ... 28BABY%29/

Regardless of wether this is true or not, what are good diapering product brands that are reliable and safe? (Powder, cream for rash or substitute for powder if possible, wipes if any are better in your opinion)
I'd be interested in trying to make some baby powder of my own to try in diapers if I can find a recipe that doesn't cause problems with cloth. There are a few recipes online that sound like they would be really soothing and pleasant smelling. I've never tried it though and I'm not heavily drawn to using the store bought powder anyway. Maybe I'll go through the EWG database and see what might be available and safe.

For diaper rash cream I like to use Angel Baby Bottom Balm. It's more a salve or ointment than a cream though. I think the brand is Earth Mama Angel Baby. It's safe for cloth diapering and a lot of diaper rash cream usually isn't since they cause a build up and reduce absorbency of the fabrics. The smell is definitely different but still pretty. I've seen it get rid of rashes in just a couple of hours!

That same brand has a baby lotion that smells like orange creamsicle candy! It's interesting but it isn't my favorite lotion.

For lotion I am liking the California Baby Super Sensitive Unscented lotion. It holds moisture in the skin so well without being sticky or greasy. I've just been using it on some dry areas of my legs and my hands though so maybe it's only my personal skin type it works so well on.

I like the idea of using reusable cloth wipes but I have a feeling you're asking for disposable brands. I like Water Wipes by DermaH2O the best since there's no added chemical in it. The drop of fruit extract they add to the water is antibacterial and a safe sanitizer that isn't harsh. They work just the same in a wipe warmer too even though they aren't loaded with fragrances and chemicals.

I know somebody who uses Shea Moisture Raw Shea Chamomile and Argan Oil baby wash and shampoo and it smells gorgeous. I don't know really how well it works personally but the smell is lovely. I guess that's not really diaper related though unless you need to bathe a really messy baby!
Hi there!
Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it!
I saw you mentioned reusable cloth wipes which i never even thought about before! Now i have more ideas to work with, so thanks for the new idea!
If i ever get the chance to seriously pad up, then i will make sure to get some of these products.
I love seeing your replies, your super thorough and helpful so thank you sooo much for that as well!
~sincerely your friendly neighborhood baby boy :paci:
rleqh99 or Jordan :hugs:

I'm looking for diapers, nice baby ones, sexy ones[…]

Advice on being little

Your little side is always with you! I know it's […]

Has anyone gone to a con?

I'm not a con person in general but I've always wo[…]

Potty training potties

Hey, 🌸Thank you for letting me be here. I found th[…]

Do you use an adult pacifier?

Yes as often as I can,and always while doing night[…]